Today’s is one of my favorite recipe Angel Food Cake, so name itself describes its nature.
An Angel Food Cake, or Angel Cake, it has a sweet golden brown crust with a soft and spongy snowy white inside. This cake is made with egg whites, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts, and flour. It can be eaten plain with just a dusting of powdered sugar (confectioners of icing) , or served with fresh fruit, sore cream and softly whipped cream.
I chose to bake this for my special occasion on my birthday (17 th Aug). hmm !!!! yep I bring this (baked) angel from the heaven.
Making a light and airy angel food cake from scratch, here I have gave you the step-by-step method. It is really simple to make in home, instead of store brought.
This is my second attempt making an angel food cake and it turned out so well!
Yummy, low fat and delicious!
“A properly baked angel food cake will leave its golden crust in the pan,” says Flo Braker.
Also refer; Angel food cake
Granulated sugar – 1½ cup (divide into 3/4 cups)
All-purpose flour / maida – 1 cup
Egg whites – 12 nos. large
Cream of tartar – 1 tsp
Lime juice – 1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract – 1 1/2 tsp
Almond extract – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix 3/4 cup of granulated sugar with the flour and sift the mixture for 3 times and set aside in a small bowl.
- Separate the egg whites without any trace of the yolk.
- Beat the egg whites in the bowl of a hand mixer at low speed until just broken up and beginning to froth.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat at medium speed until the whites form very soft.
- With the mixer still at medium speed, beat in the remaining ¾ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the sugar is added and the whites are shiny and form soft peaks.
- Now add the flour & sugar mixture, 3 tablespoons at a time & gently fold it using a rubber spatula until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the un greased 9.5 inch bundt pan.
- Smooth the top with the spatula, and give the pan a couple of raps on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and the top springs back when pressed firmly, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Invert the pan onto the neck of a bottle or funnel. Let the cake cool completely, 2 to 3 hours.
- To un mold, run a knife around the edges of the pan, being careful not to separate the golden crust from the cake.
- Slide the cake out of the pan and cut the same way around the removable bottom to release.
- Place the cake, bottom-side up, on a platter.
- Cut slices by sawing gently with a large, serrated knife.
- Serve & enjoy it with fresh fruits..
Hints & Tips:
- Sifting helps to aerate and lighten the flour.
- Separate the eggs when it is cold, otherwise the yolk breaks easily.
- Egg whites must be at room temperature before beating. This helps to be more relaxed and fluff up easily (20 – 30 minutes ).
- Beat in a very clean bowl without any of grease or oil. Fat keeps the whites from getting as fluffy.
- Egg white mixture should be in the floating meringue stage (not to be stiffen). If u over beaten, it cause the egg whites to deflate.
- Do not grease the angel food cake pan. Try to use “tube” pan with a removable bottom for the best result.
- In the case of an angel food cake, it will not rise as well without the extra sugar. Cutting down the sugar may make a denser cake.
- In order to check the cake – using toothpick, poke in the middle of the cake, It should come out clean.
- Garnish with any type of fruits like berries, citrus fruits etc., / whipping cream / sour cream.
- Surprisingly, those who are weight conscious, this is the dessert with full of protein and low calories !! Per serving 28g – 72 calories; 1.6g of proteins.