Today’s recipe is one of my favorite sambar. Knol-Khol is like turnip. The combination of carrot & knol-khol is perfect to make sambar. It’s really gives a unique taste & flavor to this dish. This recipe is goes well with steam rice, idly, dosa, etc.,
Carrot & knol-khol – 1 1/2 cup (chopped)
Salt to taste
Tamarind extract – small size (soak in warm water)
Toor dal – ½ cup
Fenugreek – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1 tsp
Onion – 1no. Chopped
Tomato – 1no. Chopped
Green chilies – 3 nos.
Garlic – 5-7 cloves
Anise seeds / sombu – 1 tsp (optional)
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Jeera / cumin – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 no. finely chopped
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Vatha kozhambu powder – 1 tbsp (optional)
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
- First, pressure cook all the ingredients given above the list by adding 1 ½ – 2 cups of water.
- Heat the oil on medium flame, splutter the mustard, add cumin, curry leaves, onion & saute it for 3 minutes.
- Now add turmeric, red chili powder, vatha kozhambu powder, add little water & cook until raw flavor goes off (adding water helps, not to burn the spices).
- After that add the vegetable, ½ cup of water & cook it for 5- 10 minutes or until half cooked.
- Once the pressure release, mash the dhal.
- Now add the tempered vegetable mixture to the dal & cook it for another 10- 15 minutes.
- Once the sambar done, garnish it with cilantro.
- Serve hot & enjoy it with steamed rice, idly, dosa, paratha, etc.,