Cat Fish Curry– This recipe I have adapted from my amma (mom), for me she is the best cook in this world. Her way of cooking is very simple & easy, I miss her a lot. Fish curry goes well with steamed rice, idly & dosa. Fish curry always taste better after a day, the fish absorbs the sourness & spices. Add the spices as per wish, adding garlic to the recipe, helps to give more taste, aroma & avoid gas formation. Cat fish contains more fat (healthy fat), so be conscious while adding oil. For vegans, add eggplant / brinjal to this curry.
South Indian style spicy cat fish curry; Sardines fish curry; Fish curry – using coconut powder; Kerala Red fish curry; Spicy snapper fish curry; Spicy fish curry with raw mango; Malabar Fish Biriyani
Bon appetite !!
Cat fish – 3 nos.
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garlic – 10 – 15 cloves
Ginger – 1 tsp finely chopped
Green chilies – 3nos.
Onion – 1 no. finely chopped
Tamarind -Small lime size (soaked in warm water & extract the juice)
Salt to taste
Onion – 1 no.
Tomatoes – 2 no.
Garlic – 5 cloves
Oil – 2 tsp
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1 tsp
Fenugreenk – 1tsp
Curry leaves & cilantro
- Ground the ingredients onion, tomato, garlic and keep aside.
- In a small pan, add a tsp of oil, fry the fish for 2 minutes on each sides, remove the excess oil by using paper towel & keep aside
- Keep the pan on low flame, add oil and start to tempering with mustard, fenugreek, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Fry the garlic & ginger until raw flavor goes off.
- After that add finely chopped onions & sauté it for 2- 3 minutes.
- And then add all the spices like turmeric, red chili, coriander powder and sauté until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the grounded mixture & cook it for 5 minutes.
- Then add tamarind extract, add enough water, allow to boil for 15 more minutes on high flame until raw smell goes off.
- After that add fried fish , cover it with lid and cook it for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!!!
To get rid of fishy smell wash the fish in the fresh cold water and add some turmeric powder and keep it in fridge for 5 minutes, before cooking by using tissue paper remove the moisture from the fish, and add little oil to the pan to fry the fish for a minute and remove the skin (depends on the type of the fish).