Upma or Uppuma is a common & easiest breakfast in South India (Tamil Cuisine). This recipe is mostly cooked with roasted semolina, various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added. This can be substitute with oats,broken rice, wheat rava, quinoa etc.,
So here is one of my favourite recipe rava kichidi, with lots of veggies & balanced seasoning. Great recipe for breakfast / dinner of your choice. Kichidi is perfect with coconut chutney & sambar.
Semolina / Rava – 1 cup (240 ml)
Onion (Large) – 1
Tomato (Large) – 1
Mixed vegetables (chopped) – 1 cup (carrot, beans, peas)
Ginger – Small piece
Green chilies – 3 (Chopped)
Hot water – 1 ½ cup (as required)
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Mustard seed – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera) – ½ tsp
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 4
- Add oil to pan , add mustard seeds & splutter, add cumin, channa dal and curry leaves saute for a minute.
- Now add onion (don’t over cook it), tumeric, ginger and green chillies saute it for a 2 minutes until raw flavour goes away.
- Now add sliced tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables, and cook for 5 minutes,
- Now add rava & saute it for 3-4 minutes on medium flame until hot.
- After that add very hot water, salt to taste and cook until the water absorbed by rava / semolina.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot and Enjoy it!!!!
To get the perfect texture of rava kichidi, the rava has to be roasted, then gradually add hot water, which helps to cook fast and also it avoids the lumps.