Curd is one of the most popular & traditional dish in Tamil cuisine. The word “curd” in India usually refers unsweetened yogurt. It use to make fresh daily in home. It is one of my favorite. I love to have curd with everything like parathas, chapathi, idly, dosa, rice etc., By using fresh curd, we can prepare curries, lassi (sweetened yogurt), buttermilk, flavored yogurt with fresh fruits etc., Making curd in home is most economical and good for health. It is the best source of calcium & vitamins. The lactic acid bacteria is probiotics, helps for gut health. Here is the simple & easy recipe for making curd in home.
2 % reduce fat Milk – 1 liter
Curd – 2 tsp
- First boil the milk on low flame.
- Once it get boiled, let the milk become warm.
- Add the curd to the warm milk and mix it well.
- Pour the mixture to the air tight container & close it tightly with the lid.
- Keep it in the warm place for 4- 5 hours until it set (remove the excess water).
- After that refrigerate the curd for another 2 – 3 hours.
I usually set the curd in the oven with light on;
in winter it takes 6 – 7 hours.
in summer 5 hours is enough to set the curd.
While boiling the milk always keep it on simmer.
Turn off it, once it get start to foam or bubble.