Naan (flat bread) one of the famous recipe in North Indian cuisines. By using tandoor oven, it used to cook on very high heat.
For vegan version avoid egg, instead of it add ¼ cup of yogurt. In case, if you don’t have yeast, instead a teaspoon of baking powder & ½ teaspoon of baking soda can be used, which helps to make soft & fluffy Bread (baking soda & powder reacts as raising agent in making dough). Lukewarm warm water (110-115 degree F) for yeast , which is a lot more than warm by my hand’s standards. Also too high temperature is bad for yeast, it tends to start killing it.
Naan can be done on stove top also, by covering with lid & cook by flipping both sides. This bread goes well with both veg & non-veg butter masala, sauces & gravies etc.,
Also refer; Tandoor Chicken Butter Masala (version 1) ; Chicken Butter Masala
All purpose flour / maida – 1 ½ cup plus ¼ cup for rolling
Dry active yeast – 1 ½ tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Egg – 1 no.
Warm milk – ¾ cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – as required
Minced garlic – 1 tbsp
Cilantro chopped – 1 tbsp
Butter / ghee to the Naan – as required
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Now add sugar, salt, egg and oil to the yeast mixture & mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and additional water as needed to make into firm dough. Note: The dough will soften as it rises.
- Knead the dough until smooth. Cover the dough and keep in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours, until nearly double in volume.
- Knead the dough for about one minute. Divide it into 5 equal parts, cover the dough & keep in a warm place for another 1 hour.
- Dust the surface lightly with dry flour, roll each piece of dough into oval shapes, sprinkle some minced garlic and cilantro & press lightly with the palm (avoid garlic & cilantro for plain naan).
- Preheat the oven to 500°F, place the two naans on the baking sheets & bake it for 2- 3 minutes on each side. The baked naan should be golden brown on top.
- Remove naan out of the oven and brush lightly with clear butter or ghee.
- Serve hot & enjoy it !!