Mutton Biriyani, I bring you an another style of biriyani from Southern part of India (Tamil nadu). In my place, we mostly use tomatoes instead of curd / yogurt in biriyani, this gives the tangyness & nice taste to it. Pressure cooking is easy way to prepare biriyani, this method helps to give tenderness to mutton & flavor.
Also refer : Hyderabadi chicken dum biriyani; Mutton dum biriyani; Chicken biriyani; Egg biriyani; Chennai Chicken biriyani;
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Marination Time : 1 hour / overnight
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Recipe Category: Main dish
Recipe Cuisine: South India
Basmathi Rice – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Bay leaves – 1
Poppy seeds – 2 tsp
Star anise – 1 nos.
Marati cloves – 2 nos.
Cloves – 6 nos.
Cardamom – 4 nos.
Cinnamon – 1 small stick
Onion – 2 medium (thinly sliced)
Tomato – 1 medium (chopped)
Green chili – 6 -8 nos.
Cilantro & mint leaves – handful
Mutton with bone – 250 gms.
Curd – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
lime juice – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Soak the basmathi rice for 30 minutes and keep aside.
- Now keep the pan or pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of oil & heat it on low flame.
- Now add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise, poppy seeds and saute it for a minute.
- After that, add cilantro, mint leaves, green chillies & saute for a minute.
- Now add thinly sliced onion & cook until brown (caramelization), now add the ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw flavour goes off.
- Once the raw flavour goes away, add tomatoes & saute it for 2 minutes. Once tomato get start to sweat, add marinated mutton, mixed it thoroughly & cook it on medium flame for 15 minutes or until mutton half cooked (it changes in color).
- Now add water to the mixture (the ratio for 1 cup basmathi rice add 1 ½ cups water).
- When the water gets boiled add the basmathi rice. Mix it slowly with the ladle and cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the three fourth of water gets evaporated, add reserved cilantro & mint leaves, close the pressure & keep it on very low flame for another 15 minutes or until one whistle.
- Once pressure released, open the lid, slowly mix the rice with flat ladle.
- Serve it hot and enjoy it with onion raita & brinjal curry / thokku.