Tandoori chicken is a most popular Indian and Pakistani dish consisting of roasted chicken prepared with yogurt, honey and spices. The name comes from the type of cylindrical clay oven, a tandoor, in which the dish is traditionally prepared. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and seasoned with the spice mixture called tandoori masala.
Once I prepared this recipe long time ago, using oven was new to me, I was so nervous and afraid to use it, you won’t believe my tandoori came out really well, my husband loved it. It is a really super easy making it in home, marinating the chicken holds a important step, longer the marination gives the most tender, juicy & tasty tandoori chicken. It’s better using your hands to spread the marinating mixture over the slits of the chicken, which could be a little messy but, our hands are the best tool to bring out all the flavors of the dish. When I was browsing to get this recipe, I realized that chicken tandoori is most famous all over the world, because most of the blogger were non-Indians, they are more fond of Indian foods & spices.
To check the tenderness of the chicken, use the skewer / fork. Once the chicken is done, remove the excess juice ( which woes out from the chicken) from the baking sheets, reserve it for stock / use it in any curries. I used broiling method for last 10 minutes by flipping both sides, this helps to give nice crispy crust & charred over the chicken tandoori. This is an perfect starter in Indian cuisines, best side dish with Naan, parathas etc.,
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Marinating Time – 60 minutes / overnight
Baking Time – 20 – 30 minutes
Recipe Cuisines – North Indian
Chicken thighs (whole)- 3 nos.
Yogurt – 3 tbsp
Honey – ½ tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 1/2 tsp
Javantiri powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Chat masala – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Ginger (grated) – 1 tbsp
Garlic (grated) – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tsp
Distilled white vinegar / lemon juice – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven for 425 degree & line the baking sheet with foil paper.
- First make a slits in the chicken thighs, remove the moisture by using paper towel & keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, add yogurt, vinegar, oil, all spices given above the list and beaten it well.
- Now spread the mixture over the slits on chicken thighs, cover it with plastic wrap & marinate for overnight / at-least 60 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Insert the the skewers to the chicken thighs, place it over the prepared baking sheets & cook it for 20 – 30 minutes until the chicken gets tender ( flip the thighs for every 15 minutes).
- Once the chicken gets tender, change the oven into broil, cook it for another 10 minutes on each sides (this helps to get char color on both sides).
- Serve it hot, remove the skewers and garnish with thin onion rings & lemon wedges, yogurt mint dipping sauce.
Yogurt Mint Dipping Sauce :
Fresh yogurt / curd – ½ cup
Mint – ¼ cup
Ginger – 1 small piece
Green chilies – 2 nos.
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients & grind it all together in a blender.
- Serve & enjoy it with tandoori chicken.