Vegan Thursday !! I am a sai Baba devotee, so I always avoid cooking non-vegetarian on every Thursday & Saturday. Today’s recipes is South Indian style spiced black chickpeas curry / masala, this is one of the dish I planned to prepare for a long time, yesterday only I brought this chickpea (easily available in Asian grocery store).
First, soak the black chickpeas / kala chana / Garbanzo beans in fresh water for overnight / 5 – 6 hours. Mostly, I like to grind my ingredients (like onions, tomatoes, etc.,) because it’s easy & less time consuming process. It is the simple recipe, throw all the ingredients into the pressure cooker, add water & cook it for 5 whistle (according to pressure cooker). Don’t worry if you are not familiar with pressure cooking method, follow the same procedure in stove top (this may take extra time to cook the pulses). chickpeas can be substituted with any other pulses like kidney bean, double bean, lentils, etc., You can also use canned pulses because they are pre-cooked and ready to use, just make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans before using it.
Finally, add small piece of jaggery or little bit of sugar, which helps to enhance its taste & aroma. This recipes is perfect with steamed rice, parathas, chapathi, idly, dosa / crepes, bread etc., This is an wonderful healthy and delicious gluten free recipe, which is rich in protein.
Happy Cooking !!
Bon Appetite !!
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Soaking Time – overnight / 5 – 6 hours
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 minutes
Recipes Cuisines – South India
Chickpeas – 2 cups ( overnight soaked)
Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Jaggery / sugar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind it into liquid:
Red Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 2 nos. medium
Garlic – 4 – 6 cloves
Ginger – 1 small piece
Green chili – 2 nos.
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1tsp
Cinnamon – 1 small stick
Cloves – 4 nos.
Curry leaves – 4 – 5 leaves
- Ground all the ingredients (mentioned above) in a blender & keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil on low flame, splutter the mustard seeds, add cinnamon, cloves, jeera & sauté for 30 seconds.
- Now add the finely chopped onion & sauté for 2 minutes.
- After that add the grounded ingredients & cook it for 5 minutes on a high flame.
- Finally the add the soaked chickpeas, add 2 cups of water, jaggery, salt to taste, close the pressure cooker & allow it for 5 whistle.
- Switch off the flame, allow to release gas, open it & garnish with cilantro & mint.
- Serve hot & enjoy it !!