South Indian most famous delicious recipe “Nethili meen / Anchovies dry fish curry”. My husband love sea foods, that too dry fish curry / thokku is one of his favorite dish and It is an easy & simple recipe, we don’t need any special masala. Dry fish are good sources of calcium and It is easily available in Asian / Srilankan’s grocery shops. Nethili karuvadu thokku is prefect with steamed rice, idly, dosa / crepes etc.,
Happy cooking !!
Bon Appetite !!
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 minutes
Recipes Cuisines – South Indian
Dry Anchovies / nethili karuvadu – 50 gms
Onion – 1 no. large (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 no. large (finely chopped)
Tamarind – small size lemon (soaked into water)
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 3 nos.
Garlic cloves – 10 ( roughly chopped)
Ginger – 1 small pieces (finely chopped)
Salt to taste.
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1tsp
Curry leaves – 4 – 5 leaves
- Clean the dry fish, pad dry with paper towel, marinate it with turmeric, red chili powder, coriander, salt & keep aside.
- Keep the pan on low flame, add oil, allow the mustard to splutter, add jeera, fenugreek seeds & curry leaves.
- Now add the finely chopped onions, once it turns transparent, add finely chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies & sauté it for 2 more minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, after sweat its moisture, add cumin powder, marinated dry fish & saute it for 2 minutes.
- Now add the tamarind extract plus 1/2 cup water, keep it on low flame & cook it for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish it with fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot & enjoy it with steamed rice.