Pickling is a traditional way of preserving fruits & vegetable in Indian. Homemade pickles are the best, I never prepared pickles before, it is my first attempt, there is two ways to prepare, one is boiled / steamed the lemon, add salt, preserve it for 2 weeks, dry in direct sunlight every day & seasoned with the other spices. Here, I prepared this pickle by another way, which I used raw lemons in salt & preserve it for 2 weeks, I learned this recipe from my amma (mom). Pickles are perfect with curd / yogurt rice, sambar rice etc.,
Lemon – 5 nos. large
Salt – ½ cup (as required, adjust to taste)
Dry roast & grind it into powder;
Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
Jeera / cumin – 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – ½ cup + extra if need.
Red chili powder – 1/4 cup (adjust to taste)
Hing – 1 tsp
- Wash the lemon thoroughly, dry it using paper towel, cut it into small pieces, place lemon pieces and salt in a air tight container and mix well.
- Keep the mixture on the counter for 2 weeks in room temperature & keep it on sunlight every day. Stir the mixture every couple of times a days.
- Dry roast all the ingredients given above, ground it into powder.
- After a couple of weeks, pour the mixture into a big container, add the grounded powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- In a small frying pan or skillet, heat oil on high flame for 2 minutes, switch off the flame, add hing & mixed well.
- Once the oil gets cooled, pour the oil to the lemon mixture in the bowl & mix it thoroughly.
- Now transfer lemon pickle into the sterilized jar / air tight container and cover with lid.
- Keep the mixture in the jar on the counter for another a weeks until the lemons are soft, mixing often.
- After a weeks, taste and adjust the seasonings & store it in the refrigerator for six months to one year.
- Serve & enjoy it !!