Today’s recipe is spicy & tangy fish curry with raw mango. In south India mostly fish curry use to prepared with tamarind extract, but sometimes this can be substitute with raw mangoes, the soreness of mango gives a unique flavor to the curry. This fish curry is the authentic dish in south India. Now in India, it is the time to harvest mango (summer), also people preserve it as pickles, we also use raw mangoes in all our curries and ripen mangoes for sweets, fresh juices etc.,
Near by my home, there is a small Asian super market, most often I use to go and purchase Indian spices, fresh & frozen Indian vegetables, pickles, masala, etc., By yesterday, I got this gorgeous raw mango from the same shop, while buying itself I had in mind to prepare fish curry. When we use raw mango in curry, mostly better to avoid the tamarind, but some variety of mangoes doesn’t have enough soreness, so in that case u can add small quantity of tamarind, likewise I used kadumpuli / garcinia cambogia, because I love its flavor & healthy too. This curry can be prepared by using any kind of fish.
Check out my other Fish curries,
Happy Cooking !!
Bon appetite !!!
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 45 mins
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Red onion (large) – 1 nos (finely chopped)
Shallots / small onions – 5 large (cut it into quarter)
Tomato (large) – 1 nos (chopped finely)
Green chilies – 4 nos.
Garlic – 1 ½ tbsp finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Kudum puli / Gambooge – 3 pieces (soaked in hot water)
Raw mango – 4 small pieces
Salt as per required
For Marinating Fish ;
Cat fish – 6 pieces(skin removed)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Mix it into Paste / Spice paste:
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Water as required
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Crushed pepper – ½ tsp
Asafoetida / hing – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 3 – 4 leaves
Coriander leaves / cilantro- 1/4 cup (chopped)
- In small bowl, soak the kodumpuli in hot water & keep aside.
- Clean the fish, remove the moisture using paper towel, marinate the fish with turmeric, red chili & salt.
- In the pan add a tablespoon of oil, add the marinated fish, fry it on both side for a minute & remove the excess fat by using paper towel.
- On the same pan, start to tempering with mustard, crushed pepper, fenugreek, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped garlic, ginger & saute it for a minute. Now add the finely chopped onions, shallots & saute for 2 minutes.
- And then add the spice paste & saute until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the tomato & saute until mushy.
- Now add the soaked kodumpuli with juice, add 1 ½ cup water to boil on medium low flame for 20 more minutes or until the raw smell goes off.
- After that add the fried fish and Sim it for 10 more minutes, finally add the raw mangoes, cook it for 5 minutes and switched off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy with steamed rice!!!
To get rid of fishy smell wash the fish in the fresh cold water and add some turmeric powder and keep it in fridge for 5 minutes, before cooking by using tissue paper remove the moisture from the fish, and add little oil to the pan to fry the fish for a minute and remove the skin (depends on the type of fish).
Cut the fishes into 2 pieces and clean it thoroughly and rub well with salt / rock salt to avoid the smell.