Hope you all enjoyed your week end!! Today I bring you a new recipe called Indian spiced mutton stew / curry. As I always mention, marinate meat for over night with yogurt & other spices, which helps to tenderize & get more flavors to meat. I used Kashmir red chili powder which give bright red color to the dish. In India, we always use meat with bone, this helps give more flavor & taste to the stew / curry & also exercise to our teeth by chewing the bone.
This spicy mutton stew / curry goes very well with steamed rice, naan, chapathi or bread, idly, dosa etc.,
I used pressure cooking method, it is best & easy way of cooking for mutton or any red meat. This method helps to keep the flavors inside of the meat.
Adjust the spice level according to your palate. You can also check Mutton Briyani.
Happy Cooking !!
Bon Appetite !!!
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Pressure Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Recipes Cuisines – South Indian
Mutton – 1 lb / 500 gms (with bone)
Onions – 1 large (chopped finely)
Tomato – 2 medium (chopped finely)
Yogurt / Curd – ½ cup
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Gram masala – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Ginger-garlic-green chili paste – 1 ½ tbsp
Meat tenderizer (optional) – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Olive oil / clarified butter – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Poppy seeds/ casa casa – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – ½ stick
Cardamom – 2 nos. crushed
Cloves – 4 nos.
Star anise – 1 no.
Curry leaves – 1 strand
Cilantro & mint leaves – ¼ cup finely chopped
- Marinate the mutton by adding yogurt, red chili powder, meat tenderizer and a teaspoon salt for over night.
- Heat the oil on medium flame, splutter mustard seeds, cumin, cloves, poppy seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel seeds, star anise & curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped onions & saute until it get transparent.
- Now add ginger – garlic – green chili paste and saute it for 2 minutes or until the raw flavor goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cook until it gets mushy, after that add marinated mutton, add generous amount of water, cover the pressure cooker & allow 5 whistle to cook perfect tender.
- Finally garnish it with cilantro & mint leaves.
- Serve it hot & enjoy !!