Last week, me & my husband went to Eastern Market, this is one of biggest farmers market in Detroit, Michigan (United States). It is really nice place to purchase fresh vegetables, fruits & meat. We went to fish shop near to the market, brought some whole red snapper fish 2 nos. (weigh 1 lobe) which looks fresh, because mostly will get packed fish near by our supermarket. After coming home, I thoroughly washed & cleaned fish in tap water, cut it into 4 pieces each , marinated with turmeric & store it on freezer. This is the best for a week, before cooking I make it to thaw.
So here is the spicy red snapper fish curry goes well with steamed rice, dosa & idly. Fish curry is always taste good, after one day of preparation, because the spice masala, tamarind extract were nicely absorbed by the fish & make the dish into heavenly taste. So most of the time, I prepare my fish curry one day before. This is simple & easiest way of preparing fish curry. Hope you all love & enjoy it with your family.
Happy Cooking !!!
Bon appetite !!!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 35 minutes
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
For Marinating Fish ;
Red snapper / Sankara meen – 1 lobe / ½ kg (cleaned)
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Salt as per required
For Grinding ;
Red onion (large) – 1 no.
Tomato (large) – 1 no.
Garlic – 5 cloves
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad dal – – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 3 – 4 leaves
Onion – 1 (chopped finely)
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 6 nos. (small)
Garlic cloves – 6 nos. (cut it into half)
Tamarind – lemon size (soaked in water & extracted)
coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Ground the ingredients onion, tomato, garlic and keep aside.
- In the pan add 2 tablespoon of oil and start to tempering with mustard, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped onions, garlic, green chilies & saute it for 2- 3 minutes and then add turmeric, red chili, coriander, cumin powder and saute until the raw flavor goes off on medium flame.
- Now add the grounded ingredients, tamarind extract & cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add enough water (approx. 1 cup), cover with lid & boil it for 15 more minutes on high flame till the raw smell of the mixture goes off.
- After that add washed & marinated fish and Sim it for 15 more minutes.
- Once the get cooked switched off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy with steamed rice, idly & dosa !!!