For the past two weeks, my husband longing for the carrot halwa. He loves dessert after finishing his lunch on Sunday. In Indian it’s an traditional way to serve dessert before & after a meal, because before meal helps to increase our appetite & after meal is helps for good digestion. Carrot halwa is one of the famous traditional dessert in all over part of India. It is an healthiest dessert too, nice package of vitamins, carbs, protein & fat. Most of the kids loves carrot, so this is the prefect dessert having tons of vitamin A, which helps to improve eye sight.
I just substitute with sweetened condensed milk instead of normal cow’s milk, which improves the flavor & taste of the halwa. Condensed milk helps to keep the dark bright color of the carrot, because while cooking the carrot with the normal milk, obviously the bright color gets fade. The Pinch of salt I added in halwa, which enhance the aroma & taste. Finally, I garnished my halwa with almonds, chasew nuts, golden raisins & pistachio. Bon Appetite !!!
Grated / shredded carrots – 2 ½ cups
Sweetened condensed milk – ½ cup
Clarified butter/ ghee – 2 tbsp
Granulated sugar – ¼ cup (as per taste)
Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – a pinch
Cashew nuts – 6 nos. crushed
Golden dried grapes / raisins – 10 nos.
Almonds – 4 nos. chopped
Pistachio – 6 nos chopped
- Keep a non stick pan on low flame, add ghee & roast the cashew nuts, raisins and set aside for the garnish.
- In the same pan add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about 10 minutes or until the carrots get tender and slightly changes its colour.
- Once the raw flavor goes off, now add the sweetened condensed milk, granulated sugar and cook until it dries.
- Finally add cardamom powder and sauté for another couple of minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan.
- Garnish with cashew nuts, raisins, pistachio & almonds.
- Serve it warm / chilled & enjoy !!!