Sardines / kavala meen curry is one of the famous recipe in South India. Sardines fish is a small sea fish, which is good for health. South Indian fish curry, mostly prepared by using tomato / tamarind based, the soreness of tomato / tamarind helps to get rid of fishy smell & enhances its taste. Most of the Indian dishes are fully depend on spices like turmeric, cumin, chili, pepper, fenugreek, by blending all these spices helps to bring an exquisite aroma to curries. Indian ancestors used spices not only for flavor, because spices having lot of health benefits like anti inflammatory, digestion, flatulence etc., that too while preparing meat / sea food, shouldn’t avoid to add spices. Mostly I love to add more garlic to all my fish curries, because it helps in flatulence.
In this recipe, I have used Sakthi masala fish curry powder, it can be substituted with any other brand products. Masala powder (Coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, fenugreek powder ).
Bon appetite !!!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 35 minutes
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
For Marinating Fish ;
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 3 – 4 leaves
Onion – 1 (chopped finely)
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Fish curry masala powder – 2 tbsp
Green chilies – 6 nos (small)
Garlic – 1 tbsp ( finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves – 6 nos. (cut it into half)
coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Ground the ingredients onion, tomato, tamarind extract and keep aside.
- In the pan add 2 tablespoon of oil and start to tempering with mustard, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped onions, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, green chilies & saute it for 2- 3 minutes and then add fish masala paste and saute until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the grounded ingredients & cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add enough water & boil it for 15 more minutes on high flame till the raw smell goes off.
- After that add washed & marinated fish, add garlic cloves and Sim it for 15 more minutes and switched off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!!!