Turkey being the most common main dish of a Thanksgiving dinner, Thanksgiving is sometimes colloquially called “Turkey Day.” Here, I made Indian style of Turkey Biriyani !!
Basmathi Rice – 2 cups (580 gms)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ginger – garlic paste – 1 ½ tbsp
Bay leaves – 2
Biriyani masala – 2 tsp (http://wp.me/s42nDE-652)
Onion – 1 medium
Green chili – 6 (small)
Fried onion – ½ cup (http://wp.me/p42nDE-as)
Cilantro & mint leaves – handful
Salt to taste
Turkey drumstick – 1 piece (500gms)
Curd – ½ cup
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
lime juice – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
- First clean the turkey drumstick & marinate with the ingredients given above and rest it for atleast half an hour – overnight in refridgerate.
- Soak the basmathi rice for 30 minutes and keep aside.
- Now keep the pan or pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of oil to it & heat it on low flame, now add the bay leaves, biriyani masala and saute it for a minute.
- After that, add thinly sliced onion & cook until it turns into pink colour, now add the ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw flavour goes off.
- Once the raw flavour goes away, add the marinated turkey drumstick and saute it 15 minutes. Add another 1 cup (240 gms) curd / yogurt and mixed it thoroughly.
- Cover the drumstick with water and cook it for 45 minutes on low flame (until it cook fully & evaporates water) / bake it in oven for 30 minutes at 400 degree, then reduce the heat to 300 and broil for another 10-15 minutes.
- Once it gets cooked, now add water to the mixture (the ratio for 1 cup basmathi rice add 1 ½ cups water).
- When the water gets boiled add the basmathi rice.
- Mix it slowly with the ladle and cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the three fourth of water gets evaporated, now keep it on very low flame and cover it with the tight lid for 15 more minutes.
- Before closing the lid, add the fried onion, finely chopped cilantro & mint layer by layer.
- Remove the lid and slowly mix the rice with flat ladle, once the rice get cooked nicely.
- Serve it hot and enjoy it with onion raita & brinjal curry / thokku.
- Make a slits on the turkey drumstick, it helps the marination goes inside and cook nicely.
- Baking / Broiling the turkey drumstick helps to cook it fully.