Fruit cake is a rich dense cake packed with dry fruits and nuts flavoured with spices usually made during Christmas. In India, this is found everywhere during Christmas season, although it is also available commonly throughout the year. Here, is the easy recipe to make a dry fruit cake / Christmas cake !!!!!
All purpose flour – 2 cups
Mixed Fruits & nut – 2 cups (chopped dried figs, dried Dates, Fresh Cranberry & Almonds)
Orange skin peel – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Brown sugar – 1 cup
Butter (salted) – 1 cup (melted)
Mixed Spices Powder / Biriyani masala – 2 tsp
Large Eggs – 3 nos (room temperture)
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
White granulated sugar – 1cup
Rum extract – 1tsp
Almond extract – 1tsp
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Milk – ½ cup
- Preheat the oven at 350 degree for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl add mixed fruits, nuts, Brown sugar, orange skin chopped, mixed spices and 1 tbsp all purpose flour / maida (which helps the nuts & fruits not to sink at the bottom ).
- Beat 3 large eggs using hand mixer / fork, add all the 3 flavoured extracts, milk and granulated white sugar.
- Now add the sifted flour to the egg mixer (in 3 addition) and gently fold by using spatula or wire whisk (egg beater).
- The consistency of the batter should not be too thick or thin (as shown in the picture).
- Now add the mixed fruits into the batter and fold it slowly.
- Grease the loaf / cake pan and pour the batter half of the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes at 325 degree.
- By using wooden skewer insert into the center of the cake, it should come out clean. Immediately remove the cake from oven, cool down the cake by using cooler rack.
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a long knife around the cake gently.
- Serve and enjoy it with Sour cream, Cranberry sauce or whipped cream!!!!
- To avoid the lump formation, sift your dry ingredients and Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in three small portions instead of all at once for the smoothest batter. Over mixing will not help but will make a tough and flat cake.
- If the batter gets too thick, don’t worry add some water or milk to get the right consistency.