This is the pickle I used to prepare and refrigerate it. Today is the last day of farmer’s market in our campus (Wayne State University, Detroit) of this season. I bought some fresh tomatoes and I thought of making my favorite Pickle. This recipe I learned from my siva amma (aunty), she prepares this tomato pickle whenever we go to picnic / excursion. Hope you all like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Recipes Cuisine : South Indian
Ripen Tomatoes (Large) – 6
Gingelly Oil – 10 tbsp (150 ml)
dry chillies – 10
Garlic – 10 cloves
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp (required)
Salt required to taste
Mustard seed – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1tbsp
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tbsp
Hing/ asafoetida – ½ tsp
Dry chillies – 3 (cut it into half)
- Chop the tomatoes into big size, now add all the ingredients listed above (Grinding) in a blender and grind it.
- Heat the oil in a pan, after the mustard seeds splutters, add jeera, urad dal, hing and dry chillies.
- Pour the grained tomatoes in the pan and bring to boil till the raw flavors goes off and the moisture woes out.
- The whole mixture should be reduced to one-third.
- Now add 1 tsp of Jaggery (it enhance taste) and 1 tbsp lime juice(remove acidic and good preservative)
- Now, cool down the pickle and bottled into a sterilized air-tight container.
- Serve and enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!
The pickle goes well with rice, chapathi, idly, dosa etc., It can be preserved for more than a month in the refrigerator. While serving before, microwave for a minute and enjoy it.
*Adding Jaggery is optional.
*Tsp (Teaspoon) & Tbs or tbsp (Tablespoon).