Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Recipe Category: Sweet
Recipe Cuisine: South India
Base for Somas:
All purpose flour (Maida)- 1 cup
Semolina (Rava) – 1 cup
Salt – a pinch
Water to knead the flour tightly.
Stuffing for somas:
Rava – ½ cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Dry desi coconut- 1 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
Dried grapes (chopped) – 2 tbsp
Almonds (chopped) – 2 tbsp
clarified butter (ghee)– 1 tbsp
- Roast the rava and dry coconut in clarified butter (ghee). Now add all the ingredients shown in “Stuffing”, mix it in a bowl and keep aside.
- Make a coarse powder of fried Gram and Sugar along with the grated coconut and add the cardamom powder and keep it aside.
- Knead the flour & rava along with the required amount of water and make this into a tight dough.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions, take one portion and roll into big size parathas and cut into small pooris using biscuit cutter (or any round shape mold).
- Now take 1 teaspoon of filling and place it in the middle of each pooris. And wet your finger with the water and gently apply it on the edges of the poori, this is to seal the poori into a semi circled shape after filling the poori. Using fork press the corner of somas to design it.
- Rest it for 5 minutes with covering a wet cloth and then deep fry into the oil. Drain the excess of oil with the help of paper towel.