Prep Time: Under 30 min
Cook Time: Under 20 min
Serves: 15-20 medium sized murukkus
Recipes Category: snacks
Recipe Cuisine: South India
Rice flour (sifted well) – 2 cups
Urad dal flour – ¼ cup
Melted butter (ghee ) – 4 tbsp
Hing (asafoetida) – 1 tsp
sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
Adding water little by little, form a dough. Take a small amount of dough and place it inside the cake decorative bag ( I don’t have murukku maker).
Use plastic sheet lightly brushed with oil/butter, and now press the dough on the plastic sheet and you will find the dough coming out shaped as per the your stencil attachment.
Slightly rotate the bag tightly holding it into circle shape.
Make sure the oil must be hot enough, check by adding a pinch of the dough if it rises immediately then, that is the correct stage. Now drop maximum 3 murukku at a time (don’t make it too crowdy it leads to uneven cook) fry them and flip out both sides till it get golden brown and crisp.
Drain excess of oil with a paper towel and let it cool and store in a dry air-tight container.
Serve hot and crispy.
I used cake decorative bag to shaping the murukku its too hard to make, so grease your bag with oil and make the dough to light soft.
With the same dough I prepared kai murruku also, by slightly changing its consistency to be soft and smooth by adding water little by little without any cracks. Dough should neither be too thick nor too sticky.
Shaping the Kai Murukku:
Twirling the dough:
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls. Keep the dough covered with a wet muslin cloth to avoid drying. Now, oil your fingers especially your fingertips.
- Gently pinch the dough and make it into an elongated shape. Twist and twirl with greased fingers and form a circular pattern of about 4-5 turns, as shown in the image.
- Place all these kai murrukus in a greased plate until you have all ready for frying.
- Preheat the oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, slide the murukku from the plate into the hot oil.
- Fry them on medium heat until golden brown and crisp. Drain with paper towel and allow it to cool.