- Basmati Rice – 1 ½ cups
- Onions – 1 large
- Tomato – 1 large
- Green Chilies – 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbsp
- Curd or yogurt – ½ cup
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
VEGETABLES CHOPPED INTO CUBES:
- Carrot- 1 cup
- Beans- 1 cup
- Cauliflower- 1 cup
- Potato- 1 cup
- Frozen peas-1/2 cup
BRIYANI MASALA (grind into powder):
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 2
- Shahi jeera – 1 tsp
- Anise – 2
- Bay leaves – 2
- Poppy seed (kasa kasa) – 1 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1/3 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/3 cup
- Cashew nuts (roasted & chopped) – 5-6 pieces
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Heat the Ghee in the cooker. Add the Briyani masala and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies and fry till they start to brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for about 2 minutes till the raw flavours goes away.
- Now add vegetables along with the chopped tomatos and saute until the juice dries up.
- Add chilli powder,curd ,chopped mint leaves ,corriander leaves and salt to the taste, mix it well and now close the lid for 5 minutes.
- After that add frozen peas and soaked rice, mix it very gently, then add 2 &1/2 cups of water and mix well.(slowly)
- Cover and cook with the weight on, until you hear 1 whistle.Switch off the gas flame. Allow the cooker to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and garnish with the roasted cashew nuts and mint leaves .
Serve hot with onion raitha and pappad.
For basmathi rice the water should be measured according to the amount of tomatoes and curd used. Not allow more than 1 whistles and open the lid carefully after the pressure goes away from the cooker.
You can also add vegetables like broccoli, chow chow, radish, knol knol etc..